I unfortunately realized that Blogtober was a thing right at the end of this month. Looking through the tag in the WordPress Reader I came across this spooky halloween tag questionnaire on a post by Mind. Beauty. Simplicity who listed their source as Literary Weaponry:
- Favorite horror or Halloween-themed song?
- Name something you wouldn’t want to run into in a dark forest or in an abandoned building.
- Have you ever played with a Ouija Board?
- Favorite horror monster or villain?
- The creepiest thing that’s ever happened while you were alone?
- If you were dared to spend the night in a “haunted house”, would you do it?
- Are you superstitious?
- Do you ever see figures in your peripheral vision?
- Which urban legend scares you the most?
- Do you prefer gore or thrillers?
- Do you believe in multiple dimensions or worlds?
- Ever made a potion of any sort?
- Do you get scared easily?
- Have you ever played Bloody Mary?
- Do you believe in demons/the devil?
- You’re home alone but you hear footsteps in your house, what do you do?
- If you got trapped in one scary movie, which would you choose?
- If you could only wear one halloween costume for the rest of your life, what would you be?
- Would you ever go to a graveyard at night?
- In a zombie apocalypse what is your weapon of choice?
- Would you rather go to a Halloween party or go trick or treating?
- You’re in a horror movie. Are you the final girl, the first to die, the comic relief, the skeptic, the smart one, or the killer?
- Do you have to watch something happy after watching a horror movie so you can go to sleep?
- Whilst watching scary movies, are you the person who yells at the characters, the person with their eyes covered the whole time, or the person who falls asleep?
- Are you the one who gets scared, or the one who does the scaring?
- Favorite scary book?
- How old were you when you saw your first horror movie?
- What was your first Halloween costume?
- What are you going to be for Halloween this year?
- If you could have a spooky halloween pet (black cat, owl, bat, rat, wolf), what would you pick?
The questions looked too fun not to answer! Feel free to share your own answers on your social media platform of choice or use the questions as ice breakers during Halloween parties this year.
Next October I will definitely try to actively participate in the Blogtober festivities. For now, here are my answers to the Spooky Halloween Tag questions.
1. Favourite horror or Halloween-themed song?
Whenever this time of year comes around I am eager to watch the classic Hocus Pocus. Even when I was little, I would get up during the Sanderson sisters grand display on the Halloween party stage and sing along. Who doesn’t feel like a dangerous badass singing these lyrics?
I Put a Spell on You
2. Name something you wouldn’t want to run into in a dark forest or in an abandoned building.
Voldemort. Just kidding, I couldn’t resist with the mention of the dark forest. Really, a serial killer is the last thing I want to find out in a forest or abandoned building. I probably disturbed their peace with my presence and that equals an automatic attack.
3. Have you ever played with a Ouija Board?
Never in my life. Nobody has time for forces unseen to pursue you and haunt you for the rest of your days.
4. Favorite horror monster or villain?
Not sure if he counts as a villain, more like a monster I suppose. His devotion is swoon worthy and his darkness gives him a slight edge that you can’t help but enjoy. Gomez of the Addam’s family.
5. The creepiest thing that’s ever happened while you were alone?
I was laying in my bed trying to go to sleep when it felt like something laid down right next to me. I felt the weight of the bed change but no one was there.
6. If you were dared to spend the night in a “haunted house”, would you do it?
Nope, I’ve already lived in a haunted house and it is not something I want to relive again.
7. Are you superstitious?
I would say I am slightly superstitious but not overly so. I’m not afraid to step on a crack but I won’t break a mirror.
8. Do you ever see figures in your peripheral vision?
I don’t think so. I definitely have seen those random black specks/ squigglies.
9. Which urban legend scares you the most?
La Llorona. I was told the story as a child and it kept me afraid of wind howls at night that sounded like a woman wailing.
10. Do you prefer gore or thrillers?
I prefer thrillers over gore. Thrillers keep me guessing and are entertaining puzzles to solve. Gore gives me answers to questions I would never ask. Like, what does it look like when a man’s face is ripped off, or how would it look if someone had their fingers ripped from their sockets? Disgusting.
11. Do you believe in multiple dimensions or worlds?
Yes, there is too much out there for us to be the only world.
12. Ever made a potion of any sort?
13. Do you get scared easily?
Not too easily, but if I start watching movies or shows about the supernatural I can be a little jumpy.
14. Have you ever played Bloody Mary?
Sure, who wouldn’t want to call upon evil for entertainment? NOPE. NEVER.
15. Do you believe in demons/the devil?
Lately I’ve been wondering if believing in the devil/demons make them exist. Like how fairies need people to believe in them. What if through our belief, we give them power and make them manifest?
16. You’re home alone but you hear footsteps in your house, what do you do?
GET OUT. I never understand how people hear something and go find a place to hide, or worse-go “check it out.” I’m getting out of the house and calling the police. (I’m getting out sneakily, not all obnoxiously loud/tripping over myself).
17. If you got trapped in one scary movie, which would you choose?
Sweeney Todd: the Demon Barber of Fleet Street. He just wanted the judge, as long as I didn’t visit their twisted little shop I am golden.
18. If you could only wear one halloween costume for the rest of your life, what would you be?
Egyptian Queen. I would gladly live the rest of my days in such a costume.
19. Would you ever go to a graveyard at night?
If I’m visiting a loved one’s grave, yes. Otherwise you’re not going to catch me disturbing the peace.
20. In a zombie apocalypse what is your weapon of choice?
Obsidian scythe. Quick, distanced, quiet, beheading. All that you want in subduing a zombie safely and without drawing attention to yourself.
21. Would you rather go to a Halloween party or go trick or treating?
Now that I’m older, I would rather go to a party but I miss the candy from trick or treating.
22. You’re in a horror movie. Are you the final girl, the first to die, the comic relief, the skeptic, the smart one, or the killer?
The smart one, I’m going to strategize how to survive no matter what. Check out the movie You’re Next to get a feel for what I’m talking about.
23. Do you have to watch something happy after watching a horror movie so you can go to sleep?
I have to watch something light after watching a horror movie or my dreams are disturbing. The Emperor’s New Groove or Hey Arnold! episodes are usually my happy place go-tos.
24. Whilst watching scary movies, are you the person who yells at the characters, the person with their eyes covered the whole time, or the person who falls asleep?
The person yelling at the characters getting frustrated. Why are you tripping over yourself? Why did you knock over all those pots and pans? Don’t say “Who’s there?!”
25. Are you the one who gets scared, or the one who does the scaring?
I like to scare because it makes me laugh. Don’t scare me or you might get punched as my immediate reaction.
26. Favorite scary book?
The Haunting of Ashburn House by Darcy Coates. It got me to delve further into the horror genre and gave me the same anxious feeling as watching a scary movie that I never considered a book could inspire. If you’re looking for recommendations, there are other scary books that I reviewed this month, check the post carousel below.
Halloween Reads Book Review Series
27. How old were you when you saw your first horror movie?
Does the music video for Thriller count? Not sure. Truly watching a horror movie full out didn’t happen until middle school. Before then I only caught glimpses that I wasn’t supposed to see.
28. What was your first Halloween costume?
The first one I can remember was Pocahontas. I am pretty confident that was my first Halloween costume.
29. What are you going to be for Halloween this year?
I have no idea. Having to hide half your face because of COVID kind of adds to the challenge of coming up with a costume.
30. If you could have a spooky halloween pet (black cat, owl, bat, rat, wolf), what would you pick?
Being impractical, a wolf. I feel like it would be such a power move to have a wolf come out of the shadows to be by your side. Sort of a dark princess Jasmine vibe. Being practical, a black cat. I can definitely see myself getting one in the future.
Hope you enjoyed this little glimpse into my Halloween themed mind. Let me know your answers or thoughts to some of the questions in the comments below!